Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Day of Learning

Okay. I know this weekend was ridiculously hot for the 2nd weekend of October, and I know that I complained that it was too hot and there were too many bees to host an outdoor picnic. But really, I didn't need the temperature to go from 91 to 51 in 24 hours. Really, a gradual downward spiral towards fall would have been okay by me. The kids didn't even know what hit them when I handed them socks this morning. I think Nicholas may have even looked at them as foreign objects never seen before in his short life.

Anyway, we went along in our lessons today, since it was way too cold to go outside, and I have instituted frequent breaks throughout the day. I find that we could sit 2 hours to get certain things done in the morning. Or I can break it up in 2 subject intervals and get it done usually faster.

So, we worked on our history lesson for the day on Egyptian writing, and did our map work. And as I am helping Katie with her maps we are reviewing what we learned about ancient Egypt's kings. And she tells me that the white king won against the red king, and took over all of Egypt. And I inform her that she has it backwards and the red king won and that is why the first pharoah's crown is red on top and white on the bottom. 2 minutes later, I find she was indeed right, and after I tell her, she smile and giggles, reveling in the fact that she knew more. I knew this day was coming, but I didn't have any idea it was coming this soon.

But so far, The Story of the World seems to be a hit. The textbook (if you want to call it that) is engaging and well-written. It presents new vocabulary with each lesson. The activity book is also laid out well, with excellent ways to eek out a good narration after reading. And then it has some awesome craft and activity ideas to reinforce the lessons. Plus the list of fiction and nonfiction books to correspond with each chapter is fabulous. With the addition of our own timeline, and using the globe to find places, this is definately turning out to be an excellent year of history.

No comments: