Wednesday, October 25, 2006

When Illness Strikes

We had the inevitable 2 year old check up today for Nicholas. Luckily, for me, he decided to run the 102 degree fever starting Monday night. So the appointment to go to the doctor was already made, and instead of a well-child visit, it was a sick child visit. Astonishingly, he has a double ear infection. He seriously had no other symptoms until this morning when his nose seemed a bit stuffy and of course the continuous fever over 101. So how in the world does a child get 2 ear infections with no precipitating virus or cold?? Now twice a day we get to coax pink goo into his little mouth that he purses shut like it is glued.

Now, I also have a second child, who at the wise age of almost 5, has found that when sick, you get lots of attention from mom, plus the added bonus of watching a movie in the morning. So all day it has been, "I don't feel good.....I'm not hungry, I'm too sick to eat......I think I need a movie now."

I know all the wonderful mothers out there who read this probably come up with all kinds of wonderful ways to handle both their sick children and well children. I, on the other hand, am exhausted from lack of sleep, and feeling quite frustrated with attempts to stop the complaining, whining, and general unhappiness that reigns here today. While I know they are this young only once, it seems to last an eternity today.

No comments: